ACT NOW TO PROTECT LOCAL DEMOCRACY IN PLANNING!
The Planning Bill currently going through Parliament will weaken your right to have a say in the building of major infrastructure projects such as power stations, incinerators, roads and airports.
Email your MP through www.theyworkforyou.com to ask that s/he calls for amendments to protect local democracy and ensure that the new planning legislation will create truly sustainable development.
Ask that they press for the following when the Planning Bill returns to the floor of the House of Commons for further consideration in mid-February:
- any national statements on major infrastructure projects must consider all the alternatives, and properly involve local people;
- decisions must be made by democratically accountable politicians, not an unelected commission;
- there should be a legal right for local people to challenge projects at a public inquiry;
- natural and historic resources must be protected for future generations;
- there should be a legal duty on all decision-makers to promote sustainable development.
More information on CPRE's campaign here.